Here’s how I split a week between Bali and Singapore in October 2016. To my surprise, I fell in love with Bali. I can’t recommend it enough.
- If you are short on time in Bali, like we were, you can jam a lot in on one day. We hiked Mt. Batur to see the sunrise, went to a coffee plantation, saw the Tegalagang Rice Terraces, explored Ubud and saw Tanah Lot. We customized this day trip with Bali Jungle Trekking, which was a great tour operator.
- The climb up Mt. Batour is fairly tough. It’s loose volcanic rock on a steep incline. I recommend trekking shoes/boots, but it can be done in sneakers.
- The current is very strong around Bali. Be careful at the beach and when snorkeling and scuba diving.
- There are many areas to stay in Bali–it really depends on what you’re looking for. We wanted a relaxing area next to the beach and near restaurants so we stayed in Legian. Our hotel was amazing–the Bali Niksoma Resort.
- For Singapore, if there’s no price for its famous dish, the chili cab, negotiate a price before you order it. At the time of writing, a medium sized chili crab was about US$60.
- The MRT transit system in Singapore is inexpensive and easy to use, but Grab (ridesharing app) and cabs are also cheap.
- The Helix Bridge and Merlion Park provide excellent views of the city skyline and Marina Bay Sands respectively. Merlion Park is especially fun at night.
- Scuba dive or snorkel at Manta Point in Bali
- Hike Mount Batur to see the sunrise
- Eat in Singapore! The country is a foodie’s paradise with its numerous hawker centres.
- Explore Singapore’s neighborhoods, especially Chinatown
- Wander around Marina Bay Sands and its Gardens
- Have a very expensive Singapore Sling at the famous Raffles Hotel
- I wish we had more time in Bali. You can do a lot in Ubud alone (read about nine activities here and all of the waterfalls nearby here.) There’s a ton more to Bali and its surrounding islands–here’s a top ten list.
- For Singapore, I would like to have done the night safari at the zoo. You can see the animals when they are most active.
Itinerary and Packing List:
Download my itinerary and packing list here.
- Snowing in Bali
- Love and Death in Bali
- Indonesia, Etc.: Exploring the Improbable Nation
- Raffles and the British Invasion of Java
- Singapore Noir
- From Third World to First: The Singapore Story 1965 – 2000
- The Defense and Fall of Singapore 1940 – 1942