A long weekend in Playa del Carmen to hang out with the bride-to-be and the girls in August 2016.
- Take the ADO bus from Cancun International Airport to Playa del Carmen. The buses are in great shape, run frequently and are inexpensive.
- If you rent a home, make sure to get clear instructions on how to arrive there from the bus station. The taxi drivers may not know how to get there since the home may be in a gated community and only have a name as an address.
- If you’re not renting a car to explore the area around Playa del Carmen, I recommend hiring Tino Gutierrez. He took us around for the day and was amazing!
- Rent a house on the beach
- Listen and dance to incredible salsa music at La Bodeguita del Medio (the mojitos are amazing!)
- Snorkel in Akumal Bay with the green sea turtles
- Swim in the Gran Cenote
- Mayan Ruins in Tulum
- Eat at Mateo’s in Tulum (seriously, the best fish tacos in the world)
If I had more time:
- I wish we had gotten a slightly earlier start on Saturday so that we could have seen the Mayan Ruins from the beach within the park–beach access closes about a half hour before the park does.
- Four days in Playa del Carmen is not enough! There’s so much to do in the area, such as releasing baby sea turtles, swim with whale sharks, etc. I would love to go scuba diving in the cenotes.
- I would have loved to explore Las Coloradas (the pink lagoons–super instagrammable!). And I’ve heard that Isla Mujeres have great beaches.
Itinerary and Packing List:
Download the itinerary here.
- Chronicle of the Maya Kings and Queens
- A Forest of Kings: The Untold Story of the Ancient Maya
- Conquistador: Hernan Cortes, King Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs