I live in the middle of the US surrounded by flat lands and no ocean. When I traveled internationally to beach destinations, I always saw dive shops that offered scuba certification courses. Every time I saw those, I vowed to learn to scuba dive…one day.
I decided that to truly experience the Great Barrier Reef, I need to be able to dive. I wanted to experience its beauty. And with that resolution in my mind, I got certified in the middle of the US, doing my open water work in a quarry. It wasn’t pretty but it got the job done. It’s been almost four years since my certification and it’s changed my life. Here’s why you should get scuba certified right now:
- The amazing beauty hidden under the water
- The sense of soaring when swimming through the ocean
- The meditative experience–hearing yourself inhale and exhale, controlling your body in new ways, it’s only you and your thoughts
- The excitement of discovery–the hidden flounder, the sand covered rays
- The adventure–you never know what you’ll see underwater
- The sense of accomplishment–learning to be calm under (water) pressure, doing more challenging dives
- The awesome community of scuba divers–they look out for each other, they love to travel, and they have great travel recommendations
If my words aren’t enough to convince you, watch my videos from the Great Barrier Reef, Belize and Bali:
Have I convinced you? Where do I need to go for the best diving? Leave your comments!