Known for the beautiful, Belize Barrier Reef, we traveled along the coast of Belize to enjoy various scuba diving and snorkeling activities. The main goal was to catch a glimpse of whale sharks in Placencia. But overall, the country is one of the best places that I’ve gone diving.
- You should double check to see what the seaweed levels are in Belize. While this may dampen the beach experience, it isn’t likely to impact the snorkeling and diving. Ask the hotels and dive shops.
- You can snorkel or dive with the whale sharks in Placencia, Belize but don’t get your hopes up. It’s very hit or miss. It seems that the 2017 season was cancelled because of a lack of sightings. If you do see them at the surface, you only have a few seconds with them so be prepared! I went with this dive shop and had a great experience.
- When whale sharks are in the area, there’s only a certain time when they are there to feed. Reserve your space well in advance.
- Reconfirm your boats’ departure times the night before as they may change.
- In Palcencia, we loved staying at the Dolce Cabana Waterfront Suites. It’s off of the main street, so it’s very quiet. It has a great back deck with wonderful hammocks. The owner is amazing.
- The Blue Hole is a great attraction. We loved diving it, but it is a two hour, rough boat ride to get there. I’m not sure it’s worth it if you’re just snorkeling and it’s definitely not worth it if you get seasick easily. Instead, you can view it from teh sky. I recommend Tropic Air.
- All businesses accept dollars but list prices in Belizean dollars. The exchange rate is 2 Belizean dollars to 1 US dollar. Bring small dollar bills to pay for things in cash.
- Snorkel or dive around the country, Turneffe, Hol Chan and the Blue Hole are great dive spots–all accessible from Ambergis Caye
- Tour the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave
- Rent a golf cart in San Pedro to explore Ambergris Caye
- Eat fryjacks and try Marie Sharp’s hot sauce
If I had more time:
- I would have spent more time inland, particularly San Ignacio, Belize. You can combine a visit to Tikal in Guatemala (do either the sunset or sunrise at the ruins) and the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) cave from San Ignacio.
- I would have spent more time figuring out where the “secret beach” is in Ambergis Caye.
Itinerary and Packing List:
Download the file here.
- The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw: One Woman’s Fight to Save the World’s Most Beautiful Bird
- Pataki Full